Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Aussie Curves - Homemade

I thought a few weeks ago was 'Homemade' week! So this week you will get two outfits - you lucky things. At first I thought that I would make something amazing to show you guys, but then I realised I couldn't fit it it - it would have to be something easy.

When I sew, I tend to make things that I will use again & again - staple clothing.  I call it meat and potato sewing.

It gives me a thrill when someone realises that what I'm wearing is made my me, especially when they think it is store bought.

Cardigan - Big W
Necklace - TS16+ (this necklace rubbed a gray stain on my shirt)
Shoes - Rubi
T-shirt - made by me
Skirt - made by me

  
  
I made the striped t-shirt and the black skirt.  I use that top all the time.  I finished this skirt off for the challenge - I'm really happy with it because I interlined it with cotton-silk so it's super nice to wear. I also hand sewed the hem using bias tape to hide the edges.

Detail shot:



Today's outfit killed two birds with one stone.  I made it - last night actually - and it is also blue.  Today my student council kids ran a blue dress up day to raise money for Beyond.Blue.

How I started out this morning (it's still cool enough for a jacket):


Jacket - Autograph
Jeans - Autograph
Boots - Rubi
Scarf - Hmmm
Necklace - Hmmm
Sunnies - Ray-bans - prescription - ♥
Top - made by me

The jacket was off by the time lunch came round.

I reused a pattern that I had already worked on - but I tweaked it even more.  The fabric is a cotton chambray from Spotlight. It feels so lovely on. I swear the hem isn't as crocked as it looks in the photos - it's just that I had been wearing it all day so there are a few creases!

  
   

I was lazy and didn't want to change the threads on my over locker so I used French seams and bias tape on the neck and hem.

We were talking about sewing today at lunch, before I remembered that I had made my top.  So I showed off my seams to the cries of 'Did you make that?' (I seriously love that). Another sewer at work told me that it was lovely.

This top was inspired by Wiksten's clothing range.

Detail shots:



Bonus shot: My camera fell backwards and took a photo of my ceiling.




3 comments:

  1. Clever lady!! i love all the items!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cleaver cookie! i love the hot pink & strips look :) but all are fantastic xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:36 pm

    So talented! I wish I could sew like you! All of it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete