Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Chia Seed Experiement 6 - Pasta Salad


Carbs? Bring it on!  The Australian Guide to Healthy Eating shows that a 1/3 of your food should come from bread, cereals, rice, pasta, noodles etc.  I love pasta and rice.  We have switched over the brown rice for most things lately which is really yummy, but pasta is a little harder.  Wholemeal pasta just doesn't exist for our town - the closest I can get is Soyaroni.  I actually like the flavour.

This is a cold pasta salad which is pretty yummy and keeps for a few days in the fridge.

Ingredients

Pasta (I used half a bag for three meal sized serves)
1 carrot
Mayonnaise
Pine Nuts
Chia Seeds

Method:
  1. Cook pasta, drain and cool
  2. Put pasta into large bowl with a fitted lid
  3. Grate carrot and add to pasta
  4. Pour  mayonnaise onto pasta - I used low fat Praise but it is too sweet next time I will use the Japanese Kewpie Mayonnaise and stuff the low fat option.
  5. Mix and store
  6. To serve, sprinkle on pine nuts and chia seeds

I also use this Soyaroni in a tuna salad - which I haven't made with chia seeds yet but here is the recipe:

Ingredients

Pasta
1 can of chick peas
1 can of tuna
Kraft Salad Dressing
Chia Seeds

Method
  1. Cook pasta, drain and cool
  2. Put pasta into large bowl with a fitted lid
  3. Drain chick peas into a strainer and rinse
  4. Add tuna to the strainer and drain as well
  5. Add chick peas and tuna to the pasta
  6. Pour dressing onto pasta 
  7. Mix well and store
  8. To serve, sprinkle with chia seeds

No comments:

Post a Comment