Saturday, October 05, 2013

Baking

This week I wanted to bake.

I used to make the most awesome biscuits which were in the Women's Weekly Big Book of Beautiful Biscuits. My copy went missing in my first year of Uni, which put a stop to my baking of these most beautiful of biscuits.  I used to put nuts, choc chips, glaze cherries - anything really - into them. 

I bought a 'new to me' copy of the book from eBay but what was I to do in the meanwhile? I went online thinking that if this is such a great recipe then surely I'm not the only one who has made them - so here is the recipe. Phew, crisis over, now it's time to bake. 



I used Reese's peanut butter choc chips. Yum! I also forgot how much they spread. Unfortunetly I lost half my batch because I accidentally bumped the oven dial up to 250'C and burnt them :(


The other thing that I haven't baked in while was bread.  So on Wednesday, I followed the recipe here, and then cooked the bread in the slow cooker following the instructions here.


This is what 4 loaves of bread look like when it's proving.  You make up the dough and leaven if for 2 hours. Then you put the whole container in the fridge where it can live for about 2 weeks.




Fresh loaf from the slow cooker. So easy. The loaf is pretty small but there is only 2 of us anyway. 

I made two loaves on Thursday and took them to my husband's work.  I cooked one in the oven and the other in the slow oven.  Although the oven made the bread have a crispy crust, I think the slow cooked bread was better, it was like a steamed bun with a slightly chewy crust.

So yes, pretty chuffed with myself this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment