I really like food blogs - but I am too lazy to have one, that and the fact that I cook at night time so the photography wouldn't be very good. Anyway - I had some left over spinach tart from last night and decided to photograph it before I ate it!
Easy Spinach Tart
20cm square baking dish
3 sheets of short crust pastry
1/2 packet of frozen spinach
4 rashers of bacon
salt and pepper
1/3 packet of unsalted nuts – I use slivered almonds or pine nuts
1/3 packet of grated cheese
1. Set the oven to a moderate temperature.
2. Partly defrost two sheets of short crust pastry, I do this in the microwave, zapping each sheet for 10 to 20 seconds. Spray the baking dish and press a whole sheet into one corner – I have about 3-4 cm of the pastry overlapping the top of the dish. Cut the second sheet into 10 cm strips and press them into the dish so that the dish is covered and the overlapping is even all the way around. Leave the third sheet to lay flat until you need it.
3. Put half a packet of frozen spinach into a covered microwave dish and zap it for 3 to 4 minutes, until defrosted
4. Remove the fat and rind from the bacon and then dice.
5. Crack the six eggs into a large mixing bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then whisk until the eggs are a little fluffy and thoroughly mixed.
6. To the egg mixture add the bacon, nuts, cheese and finally spinach and mix well.
7. Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish and smooth out.
8. Using a pretty cutter and the last sheet of pastry, cut out small shapes and place on top of the egg mixture. Cutting the pasty while it is still part frozen works best. Glaze the pasty with milk or egg – but I always forget to!
9. Place tart into the oven and cook for 40 minutes or until the egg mixture sets.